Thursday, January 1, 2009

My year of books

At the beginning of this year, I thought I would like to increase my reading and therefore, I would try to read an average of 60 pages per day and listened to an average of 1 CD per day. It wasn't always easy to achieve this goal, but finally I reached the required number early in December. Overall, I have read 100 books this year (including 17 Mangas!) and have listened to 100 audiobooks. (Those interested in the complete list, I have posted it here).

Anfang diesen Jahres habe ich mir vorgenommen mehr zu lesen, einfach weil die Bücherstapel immerzu wuchsen. Daher wollte ich versuchen im Schnitt 60 Seiten zu lesen und 1 Hörbuch-CD pro Tag zu hören. Das war nicht immer einfach, aber letztendlich habe ich es Anfang Dezember geschafft gehabt. (Wer sich für die Gesamtliste interessiert, hier ist sie).

What did I learn/experience?
Welche Erfahrung habe ich gemacht?

I enjoyed reading so many novels and I want to go on next year, but reduce the average to 30 pages.

Ich habe es sehr genossen so viel zu lesen, aber fürs nächste Jahr reduziere ich den Durchschnitt auf 30 Seiten, um noch Zeit für was anderes zu haben. :D

The more you read, the more you want to read and the longer your list of "books to read" gets.

Je mehr man liest, umso mehr will man lesen.

I met a few nice people in online book clubs, participated in a couple of very interesting book swaps and discovered new authors. I joined a reading group in Berlin and read two books, I would not have read otherwise. The discussions were very interesting.

Ich habe einige nette neue Leute kennengelernt in online Leseclubs, aber auch hier in Berlin. Ich habe an ein paar Buchtauschen teilgenommen und so neue Autoren entdeckt. Außerdem Bücher außerhalb meines üblichen Leseverhaltens gelesen und die Diskussionen darüber waren sehr hilfreich.

I didn't watch a lot TV as I'd rather sit on my Sofa and listen to a book while knitting. I didn't miss TV, but I have no clue about the latest soaps! :D

Ich habe kaum fern gesehen, es aber auch nicht vermisst. Was aktuelle Soaps angeht, bin ich ein völlig unbeschriebenes Blatt...

Sometimes, I wanted to read a book because it was new or recommended on a TV show (yeah, I watched those), it wasn't always worth the while. Therefore, for the year to come, I have decided to wait for a new book to be available in the library and then see whether I still want to read it. In addition, I'll take a friend's advice and abandon a book after the first 60 pages, if I do not like it.

Manchmal wollte ich ein Buch nur deshalb lesen, weil es neu war oder bei Lesen empfohlen wurde. Nicht immer war es die investierte Zeit wert. Daher will ich im neuen Jahr lieber auf die Bibliothek warten und sehen, ob ich das Buch dann immer noch interessant finde. Außerdem werde ich mir den Rat einer Freundin zu Herzen nehmen und ein Buch nach 60 Seiten zur Seite legen, wenn es mir bis dahin nicht gefällt.

To reduce the amount of unread books on my shelf - which once were new and I was so eager to read, but then didn't - I have decided to only buy a new book after having read three from the shelf.

Um die immer noch große Zahl ungelesener Bücher in meinem Regal zu reduzieren, habe ich mir fürs nächste Jahr vorgenommen, mir erst dann ein neues zu kaufen, wenn ich 3 vom Regal gelesen habe.

From the vast number of read books, I have selected a few that I recommend:
Hier ist eine kleine Auswahl an empfehlenswerten Büchern:

Adult Fiction:

Pet Petterson, Pferde stehlen
Kate Atkinson, At the Scenes Behind the Museum
Margaret Atwood, Moral Disorder
Pat Barker, The Regeneration Trilogy
Alice Munro, Runaway
Jhumpa Lahiri, The Interpreter of Maladies
J. C. Oates, The Falls
J. Franck, Bauchlandung


children's/YA fiction:

F.E. Higgins, The Black Book of Secrets
M. Zusak, The Book Thief,
Meg Rosoff, How I Live Now
B. Selznick, Hugo Cabret
M. G. Bauer, Nennt mich nicht Ismael
A. Steinhöfel, Oskar, Rico und die Tieferschatten
G. Durrell, Das geheimnisvolle Paket

Non fiction:

J. Levine, Not Buying It (read it and you'll know why I try to downshift in my purchases! Very recommended reading)
N. M. Brown, The Far Traveler. Voyages of a Viking Woman.


Audio-books:

Jonathan Safran Foer, Everything is Illuminated
W. Fleischhauer, 3 Minuten mit der Wirklichkeit
W. Bräunig, Rummelplatz

And here are two books, I do not recommend. I really regret having wasted time on them:
Hier sind zwei Titel, die ich für reine Zeitverschwendung halte:

E. E. Schmitt, Odette Toutlemonde
H. Krausser, Die kleinen Gärten des Maestro Puccini.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to see Behind the Scenes... in your list - it's such a good book. Í really loved Human Croquet as well.