Thursday, October 18, 2007

London is calling - day 1

Dear me, it is a week since I left for a 4-days-stay in London. My travel guides were the Yarn Harlot and my SP 10 Ingrid, who surprised me with a personal Moleskin guide for London (now filled with cards by yarn shops and addresses of lovely knitters). Bye the way, the YarnHarlot's travel guide is the only one I ever read from the first to the last page.
:



I arrived on Thursday around lunchtime at King's Cross and although I wanted to take the obligatory platform 9 3/4 picture, I forgot to do so! Instead Ingrid and I headed to Fortnum and Mason where I bought this lot:



I just love their tea and tins. Afterwards Ingrid went home while I enjoyed stores full of English books. Believe it or not, but I spent nearly 4 hours at Hatchard's, Waterstones and Borders. I left with these goodies:



My next and last stop of the day was the Thursday Night Knitting group at Liberty's where I was very welcome by Kris from Knitters Uncensored, the lovely Jill and Tessa, who has recently moved to the beautiful Lake District.

When I, finally, arrived at Ingrid's place it was very late already, but a fantastic couscous and a library full of knitting book treasures unknown to me greeted me. I am afraid I cannot put into words the dreamlike days I spent with Ingrid and Kris. Just try to imagine great food, fantastic tea, knitting all the time, fondling yarn not available in stores over here, talk knitting, every night a minimum of 3 or 4 knitting books waiting to be browsed and sharing it all with a friend.

Next: A day at Ally Pally.

Ich kann gar nicht glauben, dass es schon fast eine Woche her ist, dass ich nach London geflogen bin. Mein SP 10 Ingrid hatte mich für 4 Tage eingeladen und war sozusagen mein "personal guide". Ansonsten hatte ich für die Reise nach "knitting" noch "Stephanie Pearl-McPhee Casts off" dabei - der einzige Reiseführer, den ich von der ersten bis zur letzten Seite gelesen habe!


Um die Mittagszeit kam ich in King's Cross an und obwohl ich das obligatorische 9 3/4 Foto machen wollte, habe ich es dann glatt vergessen. Ingrid und ich gingen erstmal zu Fortnum und Mason, wo ich mich mit Tee eingedeckt habe:


Ich liebe diesen Tee und die Dosen dazu.

Danach musste Ingrid nach Hause, während ich fast 4 Stunden in Buchhandlungen verbrachte. Muss ich mich ja sonst mit kleinen Ecken englischer Bücher zufrieden geben, waren hier die Regale voll damit. Leider musste ich feststellen, dass es kaum noch einen Preisvorteil gibt, wenn man die Bücher direkt in England kauft. Im Gegenteil häufig erhalten wir hier die wesentlich preisgünstigere amerikanische Ausgabe. Dennoch bin ich nicht ganz ohne neue Bücher nach Hause gereist:

Inzwischen war es schon dunkel geworden und Zeit zur Thursday Night Knitting Group in Liberty's zu gehen, wo ich sehr herzlich empfangen wurde von Kris, die den Knitters Uncensored podcast moderiert, Jill und Tessa und einer ganzen Reihe weiterer Strickerinnen.

Als ich schließlich bei Ingrid zuhause ankam, war es schon reichlich spät, aber der Tag noch lange nicht zu Ende. Ein herrliches Essen erwartete mich noch, ein Stapel unbekannter Strickbücher, stricken auf dem Sofa und herrliche Gespräche.

Als nächstes: ein Tag im Alexandra Palace

2 comments:

knitaly said...

I'm so glad you had a wonderful time!

Anonymous said...

Oh my Gods, this must have been like Paradise...
You really deserved having a great time and being back in London and I'm looking forward to more news!
Ulrike