Monday, September 21, 2009

London - Days 3 and 4

Our second day at I knit began with a one-hour workshop by the famous Alice Starmore on stranded knitting. Although I am not a newbie to Fair Isle Knitting, I learned a couple of things. I am very glad, she showed how to properly trim your steek and sew them down flat! She was a very lovely and encouraging woman. Every participant received a small kit for a swatch in VY 2-ply Hebridean yarn:


Unser zweiter Tag bei I Knit begann mit einem workshop der berühmten Alice Starmore zum zweihändigen Fair Isle Stricken. Obwohl ich ja kein Neuling bin im Fair Isle, habe ich doch einiges dazu gelernt. Vor allem wie man den Steek zuschneidet und flach annäht.



After a lunch and knitting break, we met Debbie New for a workshop on Swirl knitting. This kind of knitting involves loads of decr and incr and cast on and bind offs. It is completely different from Fair Isle knitting.

Nach einer Mittags- und Strickpause, gingen wir zum Workshop mit Debbie New. Ihr Swirl knitting setzt sich aus zahlreichen Zu- und Abnahmen, Maschen anschlagen und abketten zusammen. Also eine völlig andere Art zu stricken.



In Debbie New's workshop I felt like I was utterly new to knitting. Everything seemed to work differently. It was very wise of her to do a three hours-workshop, because it takes some time to get into the new way of knitting and especially thinking. She was a very lovely, open lady with a very dry sense of humour. We had a lot of fun in her workshop.

Ich fühlte mich wie eine Anfängerin. Alles schien anders zu sein im Vergleich zum "normalen" Strickvorgang. Der Workshop war nicht umsonst mit 3 Stunden angesetzt, da es wirklich einige Zeit dauert, bis man sich in diese neue Denkweise eingefunden hat. Debbie New selbst war sehr freundlich und hat einen herrlich trockenen Humor.

Both ladies I took workshops with were very impressive. Alice Starmore has an incredible sense of color. Her way of addressing design and knitting is very much in my line of thinking, esp. her love of symmetry.

Ich fand beide sehr beeindruckend. Alice Starmore hat diesen unglaublichen Farbsinn. Ihre Art an Design und Strick heranzugehen, entspricht sehr meiner eigenen Denkweise, vor allem ihre Liebe zur Symmetrie.

Debbie New is a mathematical genius and artist in one person (a rare combination, I guess). Her work is totally stunning and awesome. She really takes knitting a step further. What I miss is the flow of knitting, the meditative and mindless quality "normal" knitting involves. However, if you are looking for a challenge and love zigsaws and maths, this "out-of-the-box-knitting" could be your thing. If my husband were a knitter, he would would do this kind of knitting.

Debbie New ist ein mathematisches Genie und eine Künstlerin in einer Person. Ich finde ihre Arbeiten völlig überwältigend. Sie nutzt das Medium Stricken für künstlerische Projekte, die weit über das was man sonst so sieht hinausgeht.

Ich vermisse allerdings das meditative und fließende Element bei dieser Form des Strickens (ähnlich wie bei Schulz). Wer allerdings eine Herausforderung sucht und Puzzles mag, dazu von Mathe nicht abgeschreckt wird, für den könnte diese Form des Ausdrucks das richtige sein.



On my last day in London, Ingrid and I treated ourselves to breakfast at Orange Pekoe. This is an appraised tea-shop in Barnes and if I would live in the vicinity, you would find me there very often.

An meinem letzten Tag in London, gingen Ingrid und ich zum Orange Pekoe. Das ist ein noch relativ neuer, aber schon hochgelobter Teeladen in Barnes. Würde ich in der Nähe wohnen, dann wäre ich da häufig mit Strickzeug und Lektüre anzutreffen. :D




And then, it was time to pack my stuff and set off to Gatwick again, where I met Steph from the Ravelry Book Group. Unfortunately, I again forgot to take a pic! (I have to admit that I am not a great photographer - as you may have noticed).

Und dann waren die Tage auch schon vorbei und ich mußte wieder nach Gatwick. Dort traf ich mich noch mit Steph von der Ravelry Book Group. Leider vergaß ich wieder ein Foto zu machen (ich bin keine Fotografin, wie man an den wenigen Fotos wohl gemerkt hat :D).

In case you thought, the books I bought were all the books I brought home, you are quite mistaken. Ingrid had this pile waiting for me:

Falls ihr dachtet, dass ich nur 8 Bücher mit zurück gebracht habe, dann habt ihr euch geirrt. Dieser Stapel wartete schon auf mich:

No comments: